Look Before You Leap Resources
Author Compass Resources
- This list of contest scams from ALLI will help you identify those contents/award programs that are taking your money yet perhaps not giving you much benefit.
- Read this article from The Huffington Post about publicity scams affecting authors.
- My GO-TO resource is the Independent Book Publishers Association. They have an amazing team of people that you can call (and talk to in person) to find out if there are any rumors on the street about particular service providers in the publishing industry. They have providers that offer discounts to members, and they are constantly vetting these providers.
- The Association of Authors’ Representatives, a professional organization for agents whose members abide by a stringent code of ethics.
- Winning Writers compiles lists of contests and agencies to avoid.
- Agent Query is huge database of reputable, established literary agents.
Questions You Should Always Ask When Building Your Author Team
- Does the service provider asking you for money have a real website?
- Do they have a business card on nice cardstock and not scribbled on a napkin/scrap-paper?
- Have you done a Google search ("name of provider" + scam), ("name of provider" + dispute) etc.
- Have you asked for a client list. Can you talk to a previous client?
- Is the payment plan PARTIAL payment upfront plus payments upon agreed-to deliverables?
WATCHING THIS TRAINING WEBINAR #1 WILL ALLOW YOU TO:
- Learn strategies to avoid (financial) mistakes in getting book publicity.
- Know the difference between traditional media and new media.
- Understand the different categories of publicity.
- Determine actionable items to get cost-effective publicity.
WATCHING THIS TRAINING WEBINAR #2 WILL ALLOW YOU TO:
- Understand why focusing on podcasts can be effective for your publicity efforts.
- Pitch and get on great podcasts.
- Know what equipment you need for a great podcast interview.
- Follow up and make the most of your podcast interviews.
"Know Your WHY"
"What's the Difference Between Create Space and Ingram Spark?"
"How to Load Your Book on Create Space (Amazon)"
Author Income Statements for Look Before You Leap
Takeaway: The most expensive thing (besides my time), was the time of my VA. She had to coordinate the creation of the survey with me, coordinate with all participants, and manage follow up to the survey participants.
Book coach: none
Ghost writer: none
Copy editor : $400
Interior design: $1.200
Cover design: $500
Costs so far: $4,400