– 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (I rinsed it ahead of time and left it in a bowl right next to the slow cooker, to add at the end)
– 1-2 leeks, whites and light green parts sliced thinly lengthways
– 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
– 3 cups Asian greens, roughly chopped (you can use Swiss Chard, spinach, or another cooking green like Collard greens if you can’t find Asian greens)
– 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (make sure to use the gluten-free version if you are following a gluten-free diet)
– 1 container (32 oz) chicken or veggie broth
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped
– 3 tablespoons brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– salt and pepper
Combine everything above EXCEPT quinoa. Cook in slow cooker* on Low for about 7 hours, or if you make a double batch you can leave it at least another hour. About 1.5-2 hours prior to serving, add the quinoa and turn to High. Cook until you see the quinoa’s little white tails. That’s the signal that the quinoa is done. Sprinkle a little extra sesame oil on top prior to serving. Yum!
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!