When I look for a recipe that “feeds my soul”, I always think of this salad. Even approved by my neighbors, it's hearty and filling and full of fresh flavors!
– 2 cups dried barley, cooked*
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– ½ teaspoon ground coriander seed
– 2 15 1/2-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
– 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
– 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
– 1/3 cup thinly sliced drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
– 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
– 1 cup fresh Sun Gold tomatoes, washed and halved
– ¼ -1/2 cup fresh basil, washed and chopped
*Other grains like farro or bulgur and others would work just as well. I was looking for a chewy, “soul satisfying” texture.
Rinse barley. For easier digestion, you can soak your grains. The method is to leave grains covered with non-chlorinated water, plus an acidic medium, for about 7-8 hours (a longer time is okay too). The amount of acidic medium is 1 tablespoon for every 1 cup of grains. Your best choices for an acidic medium are lemon juice or vinegar.
Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper (about ¼ teaspoon each. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!