This simple salad makes a great side dish, and especially pairs well with a grilled fish or seafood.
– 1 10oz bag of matchstick carrots (you could also use bagged coleslaw or bagged broccoli slaw)
– 1/2 head of purple cabbage, chopped
– ½ cup toasted sliced almonds*
– 1/8 cup toasted sesame seeds
– ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil (or use a combination of olive oil and toasted sesame oil)
– 1/3 cup sugar (use less if desired)
– 1/3 cup vinegar (rice vinegar or champagne vinegar work the best, but you can also use red vinegar)
Toast the nuts/seeds (see below note). Assemble the dressing and coat vegetables (slaw). Prior to serving, add the toasted nuts.
Optional: Kale chips are a great topping and add some great crunch!
* To toast the sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, roast in a pan with a bit of oil or bake on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with Spectrum Olive Oil spray. Watch the nuts/seeds closely as you want them to brown but not burn.
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!