I love recipes that are versatile and engage in fun concepts like the rainbow. This recipe is also easy to prepare. Give it a try!
For the salad:
– 1 cup couscous (a tri-color couscous is fun for the Rainbow theme; use quinoa or millet if you are going for a gluten-free version of this recipe)
– 1 can (rinsed thoroughly) black beans or chickpeas
For the rainbow:
– Red: Red pepper or tomatoes, washed and chopped
– Orange/Yellow: Orange and yellow peppers, washed and chopped
– Green: Cucumbers (if summer), parsley or cilantro
– Blue/Purple: Purple basil would be fun if you can find it!
– White: Onion, peeled and chopped, add to taste (I prefer red onions in this salad, but you can count these for the white)
For the dressing:
– 2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
– 3 Tbsp. olive oil
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
– 1 tsp. honey
– salt / pepper – start with 1/4 tsp. sprinkle on to taste
I cook the couscous (or quinoa or millet) in the rice cooker, using 2 cups water for each cup of couscous/grains. While the couscous/grain is cooking, wash and prepare the rainbow of vegetables and wash/rinse the beans. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together. When the couscous/grain is cooked, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Enjoy!
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!