– 4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
– 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
– Hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
– 2 pounds tomatoes, seeded, diced
– 1 cucumber, seeded, chopped
– 1 green bell pepper, chopped
– 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– Fresh cilantro for garnish
Combine tomato juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and pepper sauce in a large bowl. Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and garlic. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours or until chilled and flavors are blended. Serve garnished with cilantro.
Tip if you have fussy kids: Omit the hot sauce and peppers and tone down the spices (maybe even omit the garlic if your kids are not fond of the garlicky taste. Then try to spice things up over time.
Makes 6 servings (about 8 cups)
To seed tomatoes, cut them in half parallel to their stem ends and gently squeeze out the juice and seeds.
To seed cucumbers, cut them in half lengthwise and use the tip of a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds.
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!