– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 12 ounces hot italian sausage (preferably organic), cut into small chunks
– 1 onion, peeled
– 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tomato
– 3 cups chicken stock
– 2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1⁄2 inch pieces
– 6 carrots or parsnips, peeled, and cut into 2-inch pieces 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1⁄4 inch thick slices
– Winter greens (swiss chard, collards, brussels sprouts), prepared
– 2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a saucepan over med heat. Add sausage, stirring until sausage breaks into small pieces and is no longer pink about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Pour off all but 2 tbsp rendered fat, and discard. Raise heat to medium-high, add onions; cook until golden about 4-6 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, and herbs; simmer over med heat until liquid thickens 20 to 25 minutes. Add sausage, squash, carrots/parsnips, and fennel; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender about 10 minutes. Add winter greens; cook, covered about 5 minutes more. Remove cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until thickens, 10 to 15 minutes more. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!