Many people believe that soups are difficult to make, so I asked a teenager to do a short video showing how easy it is to make a soup (see the video below, Lentil Soup with Meg). No problem!
For this recipe, I was given permission from Melissa Costello of Karma Chow to reproduce her “Herbed Lentil Soup”.
I hope you enjoy it!
We really enjoyed having Melissa come and speak to a group of health-oriented folks at Zenergy Club and Spa in Sun Valley, Idaho.
– 2 cups French lentils
– 1 TBL Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
– 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
– 3 carrots, peeled & diced
– 3 stalks celery, chopped small
– 1 large shallot, diced
– 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 5 plum tomatoes, diced or 1 can fire organic roasted diced tomatoes
– 2 tsp dried tarragon
– 1 tsp dried thyme
– 1 tsp paprika
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tsp sea salt
– Ground black pepper to taste
– 6 cups veggie stock, low sodium or 3 veggie bullion cubes
– 6 cups water
– 2 TBL Sherry wine vinegar or Champagne Vinegar
Combine ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
Here's Meg (my teenager friend), making lentil soup:
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!