Here is another amazing recipe from my dear friend Julia. This is the perfect snack on a cold autumn or winter day. The fennel, carrot and orange combination is amazing, and the spices she used were fun and new to me.
– 2 T olive oil
– 1 pound peeled carrots cut into coins
– 1/2 bulb of fennel thinly sliced
– 1 small yellow onion, cut into quarters
– Salt and pepper
– 4 twigs of thyme, leaves only (organic and washed)
– Freshly grated zest of 1 orange
– 1/4 t coriander (or more to taste)
– 3 cups of chicken stock
– 1/8 t ground sumac
– Dash Aleppo pepper (or cayenne if you can't find Aleppo)
Heat oil over medium heat, add carrots fennel and onions and cook until onions are golden (7-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in thyme leaves, orange zest, coriander, and stock. Stir combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until veggies are very tender, about 20 minutes. Add sumac and Aleppo pepper seasonings. Allow to cool and blend in a food processor in small batches. Return to pot and taste in order to correct seasonings. Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt if desired.
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!