I've been just a bit obsessed with kale lately (see also the Kale Salad recipe and Kale Chips). Try this kale salad with creamy curry dressing as a side (or with a protein for the main dish!) soon and let me know what you think.
– 1-2 heads curly kale (or 8 oz bagged kale)*
– 1 T olive oil and a dash of sea salt
– optional: ½ cup shredded carrots
– optional: ½ cup shredded cabbage
– optional: ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
– ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
– sunflower seeds, or sesame seeds, toasted
*Look for a pre-bagged kale mix that may also include carrots and purple cabbage for convenience.
– ¼ cup tahini
– 4 T olive oil
– 2 T apple cider vinegar (Braggs is a great brand)
– 3 T water
– 2 T honey
– 2 T lemon juice or juice of 1 fresh lemon
– ¼ teaspoon curry powder
– Optional: dash of toasted sesame seed oil
(Note: you may need to add more water, oil, and vinegar to achieve the desired consistency of your dressing. The above proportions yield a dressing that is quite thick).
Unless using bagged kale, strip kale of stems and tear into small pieces, and soak in a bowl to get rid of any sand/dirt and spin dry. To allow for easier digestion, drizzle the kale with olive oil and add a dash of sea salt and massage kale with your hands for a few minutes until it softens. You can leave the olive oil and salt on the kale overnight as well, allowing the kale to further soften.
Prepare the dressing using a blender or Cuisinart until smooth and creamy.
Prior to serving, add the tomatoes and nuts, if using. Toss with the creamy curry dressing and enjoy!
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!