This soup always makes me happy. I know you will enjoy it, too!
– 3 Tablespoons olive oil
– 2 small sweet onions chopped, or 1 small sweet onion and 3 leeks (white part only) chopped
– 2 to 4 cloves of garlic (depending on your love of garlic) chopped
– 6 cups chicken stock
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
– 2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
– 4 cups kale (leafy part only) roughly chopped
– 4 Tablespoons white miso
– pepper to taste – you won’t need much, if any, salt
– optional: 2 eggs (I use extra large) at room temperature
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and leeks, if using, and cook until tender and just slightly beginning to brown. No need to rush it. Add the garlic and give the pot a stir. Add the chicken stock and vegetable broth and the miso. Stir to dissolve the miso. Add the greens. Let the greens settle down and let the pot come to a bubble then turn the heat down so that it simmers gently for about 20 minutes or so. It is ready to eat. Now, if you want to add a little bit of extra body and protein to the soup, beat the two eggs together in a small bowl. Slowly pour about a ½ cup of the hot soup into the eggs, whisking as you go. Turn off the burner and add the egg mixture into the soup pot, stirring to incorporate. Ladle into bowls and eat!
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!