I personally love pesto – especially because it's so versatile. I already have a few variations for pesto recipes (see Almond Pesto and Spinach Basil Pesto), but I realized that neither of these recipes includes a favorite addition of mine – sun-dried tomatoes.
Since I've linked to the above two recipes, I thought I'd use this post to simply remind you to be creative when you are in the mood for pesto (or in the kitchen in general!). Here are some ideas on some pesto variations:
– Use toasted cashews, walnuts, almonds (or any kinds of nuts or seeds) instead of the typical pine nut
– You can use any kinds of greens (mustard greens, arugula, parsley, and spinach are favorites along with the usual basil)
– You can add veggies that sound good to you (I like sun-dried tomatoes, but roasted peppers are also good; I’m sure there are many other options)
– Try a variety of cheeses (you don't have to just use parmesan)
– To make the pesto recipe dairy-free, substitute the cheese with Nutritional Yeast (bonus: Nutritional Yeast is high in B vitamins); my preferred brand for Nutritional Yeast is Premier Research Labs
– You can change up the spices…I’ve been using fennel seeds in my pesto as of late
– You can change up the oil (instead of just using olive oil, try an avocado oil or a bit walnut oil)
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!