When traveling to other countries, it always surprises me how different the breakfast is from our standard American fare: grilled vegetables, baked beans, stir fry and soups are common breakfast foods. Why not try something different?
– 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed (~1/3 of a 1 lb bag)
– 1 cup chopped celery (~2 stalks, ¼ of a bunch)
– 1 cup chopped carrots (~2, ¼ of a 1 lb. bag)
– 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped (~1 cup)
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
– 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
– 4 tablespoons of tomato paste (~1/2 a 6 oz can)
– 1 – 32 oz container of chicken stock
– 1 ¼ cup water
– ½ teaspoon each of dried basil and dried oregano
– ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
– 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– pepper to taste
– 1 – 6 oz bag shredded parmesan cheese (1 ½ cups, optional)
– 12 Poached Eggs
Put everything but the vinegar, parmesan cheese and eggs in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Before serving, splash in 1 to 2 tablespoon of vinegar and sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese.
Place water in a shallow pan and bring water almost to a boil. One at a time, crack an egg into a small bowl then gently pour into water.
After 4 minutes when the whites are cooked, remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
Serve warm soup with a poached egg on top!
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!