This recipe has stovetop instructions, but I just use my slow cooker because it is less work! I also added mushrooms because they are yummy.
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 1 tsp garlic, minced
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1 cup sliced carrots
– 1 cup chopped spinach or kale (any green)
– 1 cup cooked whole grain (brown rice, millet, quinoa, barley) – optional
– 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (may need to add more depending on how thick you would like the soup)
– 1⁄4 cup chopped basil/oregano/thyme (any combination)
Heat oil in Dutch oven* over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and celery – stirring until translucent – about 5 minutes. Add stock, carrots, (and any other vegetables you would like to add – i.e. squash, zucchini, broccoli, peas, etc.). Cook for about 5 minutes. Add whole grain, spinach (or kale), and herbs. Cook about 5 to 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Source: Katherine Sumner, www.pureandsimplehealth.org
*Another word for a big ol’ pot
Want to learn how “Food Feelings” affect your health and how to eat for optimal energy and well-being? Please check out this FREE Make Nutrition Fun Course on teachable!